Research Software Engineer / Experimental Scientist in Interactive Computer Graphics (AR/VR)
Data61 is the largest data innovation group in Australia. Bringing together CSIRO’s Productivity team and National ICT Australia (NICTA), we are unrivalled in our intellectual capital and our network with the global technology marketplace. The combined group will bring together approximately 600 research staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 will continue to develop Australia’s future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
- Join CSIRO’s Data61 team – the largest innovation group in Australia!
- Software engineering and programming for rapid prototyping of Interactive Computer Graphics Applications
- Work in world class Advanced Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) facilities
Data61 is looking for a Research Software Engineer / Experimental Scientist with a passion for developing novel Interactive Computer Graphics Applications. The successful applicant will contribute to projects in a diverse range of application areas, making use of the Advanced Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) facilities in the Data61 Immersive Environments Lab in Canberra, and collaborating widely within and outside of CSIRO. Recent team projects have included systems that combine AR, VR, and/or Web3D technologies for the remote guidance of maintenance workers, interactive annotation of 3D scans, and novel urban visualisation for stakeholder engagement. Going forward, we aim to expand our platforms for web based delivery of, and interaction with, 3D data.
- Software engineering and programming for rapid prototyping of Interactive Computer Graphics applications including VR, AR and Web3D.
- Craft technology demonstrations on top of software platforms that enable people to experience and use new application concepts.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, to carry out tasks under limited direction, in order to reach objectives.
- Foster open communication, provide coaching and on-the-job training to both support and research colleagues, as required.
- Adapt and/or develop original experimental methods/equipment/software/concepts/ ideas in support of existing and further research.
Salary: $78k – $88k plus up to 15.4% super. Candidates will be considered at the salary bracket above this ($92k – $100k) if their skills and experience determine this, and the role will be altered to match this.
To be successful, you will have:
- First Class Honours, Masters, PhD Degree &/or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Engineering or a directly related field.
- Demonstrated experience with real time 3D graphics and/or computer vision.
- Familiarity with Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and/or Web3D.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks autonomously.
- Familiarity with modern Computer Graphics Engines such as Unity or Unreal and/or familiarity with Graphics Libraries such as OpenGL, Vulkan, or DirectX.
- Demonstrated ability & willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific investigations.
How to Apply: Please view the full position description and apply online via the following link: https://jobs.csiro.au/job/Canberra%2C-ACT-Research-Software-Engineer-Experimental-Scientist-in-Interactive-Computer-Graphics-%28ARVR%29/373497200/
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, 19th December 2016