Rising Sun Pictures are currently seeking experienced Environment & Matte Painting Artists to join our team.
Employment periods: These positions are long-term, commencing immediately.
Location: Adelaide, Australia. These positions are open to Australian and international applicants.
Reporting directly to the 2d Supervisor, you will be responsible for crafting photo-realistic high resolution, digital matte paintings & environments. RSP’s environment artists use a combination of effects tools including Photoshop, Mari, Houdini, Nuke, ZBrush & Maya to complete stunning environments. We don’t expect you to be an expert in every area, however demonstrated paint and 3d skills will be highly regarded.
You are a professional artist who works collaboratively with your team and associated departments. You are an excellent time manager and forward thinker who delivers to schedule and brief. You have extensive experience creating wide ranging hard and soft surface environments, working with depth, lighting and perspective cues to achieve realism. You model, paint, project, texture, shade and light, iterating your work to final delivery.
Your ownership of tasks is highly regarded by your previous supervisors. As a professional artist, you provide confidence to the production team because you maintain absolute clarity in what is expected of you.
- Create hard and soft surface environments and prop creation, with a focus on digital matte painting, modelling, texturing, set dressing, camera projection mapping and scene augmentation.
- Collaborate with the 2d supervisor and team to create and adapt your work in line with the brief and directional changes.
- Ensure assets are created in-line with the brief and supportive of render optimisation and reuse.
- Match Lidar scans and on-set photographic references to create integrated environments.
- Assemble and modify shaders and textures.
- Work with the compositing team to lock off coverage maps.
- Create rough environment composites to help demonstrate your work relative to the plate.
- Work in a manner that allows other environment & matte painting artists to pick up your work if required.
- Review and QA your work for internal and external delivery ensuring it hits creative and technical notes.
- Contribute to creative and technical discussion, with a view to raising the quality level of the final image.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years professional experience creating environments for live-action feature films.
- Expert user of Photoshop, Mari, Maya & Nuke.
- Utilitarian knowledge of Linux, Shotgun, ZBrush and 3DEqualizer.
- Real world understanding of light, math, proportion, depth and colour.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanour in a delivery focused work environment.
- Superior level of attention to detail and strong eye for aesthetic composition.
- Expert communication and organisational skills.
To apply, please head to the job page on our website here https://rsp.com.au/environment-artists/
Our preference is for you to apply using the online application form. You can communicate with us regarding this position by sending an email with your resume, reel and breakdown to email@example.com with the words “Environment / Matte Painting Artist” in the subject line. Please state your availability and country of passport so we can understand your right to work in Australia and visa options.